Thursday, May 24, 2012

Zambia at a glance

So I've gotten some pictures of what my life might possibly look like and entail the next few years.


Such beautiful colours. This is the typical women's wear, so I'm basically not packing any clothes from home, as this is what I'm expected (and excited!) to wear while in the village.


They told me to start doing back strengthening exercises because I will be doing a lot of labor and bending over, which is really rough on volunteers backs. (I think they missed the part in my medical paperwork that states I've broken bones all throughout my Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar Spine, and within the last 3 years!) ;) I will be bending over the fire to cook, work in the fields, carry large/heavy objects, as well as sitting on short stools. 


Baby wearing!! Of which I am a huge advocate. Actually, I just put this up because I think they are such beautiful people. And I keep reading about how lively, welcoming, and warm they are. Past volunteers say that you go past a village or a hut, and you see all the women together just singing and laughing as they work away. 


Another reason to strengthen my neck & back before I go! 


Look at all the colours!!!!


The basic terrain, also gorgeous.


That's where Zambia is located. There are many reasons that I'm excited to be here, but the # 1 thing on my "Africa Bucket list" is to go to the Victoria Falls, which are located on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe (which is the country directly south and the middle of Zambia). Zambia is roughly the size of Texas. Also, I'm just a hop skip and jump across some water to Madagascar, which is somewhere that I'd love to go. Being in Africa will hopefully open up more travel opportunities- although I know that's not the reason that I'm going. I WANNA SEE IT ALL!!


Those are the Victoria Falls. Look it up, so gorgeous. And massive. I'll be fairly close to Victoria Falls, maybe a few days travel by bike, foot, and hitch hiking! But it sounds like I'll be able to see tons of magnificent waterfalls throughout the surrounding areas of where I'll be living. 


And my future home & bike :0)

Geography/Climate
"Zambia is a landlocked country positioned in southern 
Africa and is bordered by the countries of Botswana, Angola, 
Namibia, D.R.O.C., Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, and 
Zimbabwe. It is located south of the Equator and is in both 
the eastern and southern hemispheres. 

Most of the country consists of a wide plateau with some 
scattered mountains. Though located in the tropical latitudes, 
the general height of the land gives Zambia a more pleasant 
climate with relatively low humidity. There are three 
seasons—cool and dry from May to August, hot and dry from 
September to November, and warm and wet from December 
to April. Only in the valleys of the Zambezi and Luangwa is 
there excessive heat."


As my welcome letter said, "Welcome to the real Africa!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment